400g Dried Butter Beans
3 tbsp Greek extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp Tomato Purée
800g Ripe tomatoes, skins removed, roughly chopped
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Dried Oregano
Pinch Ground Cinnamon
2 tbsp Chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water. Drain, rinse, then place in a pan covered with water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, then simmer for approx. 50 mins until slightly tender but not soft. Drain, then set aside.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, tip in the onion and garlic, then cook over a medium heat for 10 mins until softened but not browned.
- Add the tomato purée, cook for a further min, add remaining ingredients, then simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Season generously, then stir in the beans. Tip into a large ovenproof dish, then bake for approximately 1 hr, uncovered and without stirring, until the beans are tender.
- The beans will absorb all the fabulous flavours and the sauce will thicken. Allow to cool, then scatter with parsley and drizzle with a little more olive oil to serve.